|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando attraction|
|Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery|
|Attraction type||Haunted House|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights 21|
|Park||Universal Studios Florida|
|Housed in||Soundstage 22|
History and Location[edit | edit source]
In 2011, Universal decided to build a haunted house based in a gothic graveyard haunted by ghosts. The house would be very cold and would feature zombies, skeletons, and even moving statues.
In 2011, every house tied into a story relating to a choice a character had to make (influenced by Lady Luck). This house's story was focused on Jonathan Hawthorn and his wife being offered offers a choice between two plots of land by an old spinster (Lady Luck in disguise) for Jonathan and his future wife Elizabeth's home. Jonathan chooses one and soon the two are married and their house is built. Elizabeth eventually contracted sickness and Jonathan asks a controversial alchemist, Malcolm Trumbull for medicine. The medicine fails and Elizabeth dies causing Malcolm to also kill himself. They were both buried in the family cemetery and their ghosts now wander the cemetery forever.
The house would be located in Soundstage 22, one of the smaller soundstage facilities designed to be used as filming locations for movies and television shows.
Description[edit | edit source]
As snow falls on this normally serene gothic cemetery, the deceased souls that occupy its confines have their sights set upon you, insuring that the chill you feel up your spine is more than just the cold of night.
As snow falls on this serene gothic cemetery, spirits of the deceased rise from their graves... their ghostly sights firmly set upon you.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Queue and Facade[edit | edit source]
The entrance to the queue for this house was right outside the Universal Music Plaza. The line for this house looped around the inside of the Universal Music Plaza. The trailer for The Thing (2011) would play on a screen that was erected on the stage. Guests would then start walking towards Soundstage 22 and enter the soundstage from the left side.
Haunted House[edit | edit source]
We enter into the main courtyard, and there is a stone statue covering its face. All of a sudden, it moves to scare guests, moving stone as a sound effect. As we walk into the outdoor hallways, the caretaker scares us from behind a gate. We make a left turn, and there is an elevated gravesite with a zombie with half a body crawling on the floor, occasionally reaching out at guests. On our right, a ghost with strobing black-lights scares us from a boo window. We make a right turn, and we are in the tombs.
Various ghosts pop out at us from tight corners and boo windows. There are large holes in the walls, and ghost hands reach out at us. If you pay attention, behind one of the holes is a corpse crawling up a set of stairs. More ghosts appear, and there is one above us in a coffin. We go outside again, and are between sets of vines. Ghostly hands reach out at us, and we enter the Caretaker's cottage. There are several selves, with Mr. Trumbull running between them. We go back outside, and through holes in brick walls, we can see a large cemetery. This is just a distraction, for a hand reaches out and scares guests.
We enter more tombs, with several more ghosts popping out at us. There is a coffin that is shaking with a voice screaming out of it. Next is the bone room, where skulls are lined on the walls. A plethora of ghosts, zombies, and monsters scare guests. At the end, there is a scareactor blending in with the bones. Finally, we are outside again, making about two more turns. We enter the finale, where there are hooded figures roaming around-some scareactors and some dummies. They have covers on their face, but compressed air shooting through the mask lifts the cover to reveal a skeletal ghost. Guests then exit the house.
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
- Malcolm Trumbull
- Bones Camouflage
- Skeletal Ghosts
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In front of the facade, they have the carriage from Van Helsing.
- The Sorrowful Angel Statue towards the beginning of the house was inspired by the Weeping Angel aliens from "Doctor Who".
- The crawling ghost was inspired by the show "The Walking Dead".
- The crawling corpse on the stairs is achieved by putting an upside-down staircase above a mirror, so the reflection will appear as the effect.
- The vines scene are actually the jail cell bars from last year's "PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook".
- In the Bone Room, the bone chandelier is from Body Collectors: Collections of the Past.
- The coffin right before you enter the Bone Room was used in "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns: The Curse Continues".
- Right before the finale room, there is a tombstone that says Mary Shaw (with a date of death set after the time period this house is set in). This was used in Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw.
- One of the plaques in the mausoleum scene also has the name "Bradie" (a reference to "The Brady Bunch"). The birth date on the plaque is the year of the corresponding actor's birth (minus 100, since this house is set in the 1800s), and the death date is the year the show ended.
- The view of the far away Cemetery was achieved with the use of a miniature set.
- Near the end of the house, was a crypt with the label "Aiello Family". This is a reference to Michael Aiello, the showrunner of Halloween Horror Nights Orlando.
- The sign "In Stone Our Bodies Rest in the Lanterns Light. Our Souls Walk." that appears in the house was reused on a half wall in the middle of the Hollywood area during Halloween Horror Nights 22.
- There was corroded sign that says "The Spade Is Death. It is Dealt With Great Fury."
- One of the graves in the far away cemetery miniature set is of longtime special FX maker Michael Burnett.
- A Mausoleum plaque of the Hughes Family was reference to David Hughes who has helped build and create some of the past houses in HHN History.
- A Mausoleum of the Braillard Family is a reference to Patrick Braillard who has been apart of A&D in creating some of the houses that year.
|Halloween Horror Nights 21|
|Characters: Lady Luck (Event Icon) • Floyd Mercer • Juliette • Edgar Allan Poe • Louis • Antonio Cabot • Edmond Clarke • Jonathan Hawthorn • H.R. Bloodengutz • The Citizens • The Horizon • The Thing • Elizabeth Hawthorn|
|Haunted Houses: Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery • Nightingales: Blood Prey • The Thing • H.R. Bloodengutz Presents: Holidays of Horror • Saws N' Steam: Into the Machine • Nevermore: The Madness of Poe • The In-Between • The Forsaken|
|Scarezones: Your Luck Has Run Out • NightMaze • Grown Evil • Canyon of Dark Souls • 7 • Acid Assault|
|Shows: Death Drums • Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure|