|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando attraction|
|Attraction type||Haunted House|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights 27|
|Park||Universal Studios Florida|
|Housed in||Soundstage 22|
|Based on||The Shining (1980)|
|“||Come play with us.||„|
|~ The Grady Twins|
History and Location[edit | edit source]
On May 19th, 2017, Universal announced that a haunted house based on the Stanley Kubrick film, The Shining, would be coming to their Halloween Horror Nights event that year. This was surprising, as Stephen King said that no works of his are allowed to be at any Halloween event. Universal worked around this by basing the house on the Kubrick film. The codename for this house was "Gold", a reference to The Gold Room.
The house would be located in Soundstage 22, one of the smaller soundstage facilities designed to be used as filming locations for movies and television shows.
Description[edit | edit source]
The visually intense psychological thriller is now the most terrifying haunted experience imaginable.
Media Description[edit | edit source]
Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Every Horror fan knows this film inside and out, and we as fans...have the unique opportunity to bring our favorite scenes to life. In soundstage 22, you will see Room 237.You will see the Snow covered Hedge Maze.You will see a blood hallway. And you'll also see...Our Great Hedge maze. A description said by Patrick during the media for Halloween Horror Nights 27.
Experience[edit | edit source]
When you enter Soundstage 22 you are greeted with the Overlook's Hedge Maze. You see the map of the maze in front of you and snow falls from the sky. You then enter the hedge maze. Near the end of the maze is Dick Hallorann from the movie telling you to stay out.
After the hedge maze you move into the actual hotel. In a hallway you see the word REDRUM written on a door. On the other side is a mirror (It wasn't really a mirror) that says MURDER. Wendy comes out of a door swinging her baseball bat. On the wall behind her you can see Danny's tricycle. You take a turn and on the wall in front of you is Jack's typewriter with all the pages saying "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" above it.
You then enter the hotel lobby where you see Dick Hallorann's corpse laying to the side. Then out from behind a door Jack Torrance comes out swinging his axe at you. After that you enter the bathroom of Room 237. In there you can see a silhouette of a young Lorraine Massey taking a shower. She then opens the curtain and an older lady jumps out cackling. There is also another old lady at the end of that scene.
In the next room you see the Grady Twins dead in a room all chopped up with an axe. Then their father Delbert Grady comes out of a boo hole. Then down a hallway you see the Grady Twins coming at you to your right. At the end of that hallway you see Danny riding his tricycle.
Down another hallway you see screens on both sides of you showing blood coming out of an elevator. Taking a turn you see the actual elevator right in front of you spewing blood. Delbert Grady also pops up again in another door. Then you walk into a room where you see Wendy next to a door holding a knife as her husband pops out of a hole in the door. Walking further down that room you see various doors with many axe holes in them. On one of the doors Jack Torrance pops out of a hole saying his famous line "Here's Johnny".
After that you go into a long disorienting hallway filled with mirrors and the iconic carpeting of the Overlook Hotel hangs from above. Behind one of the mirrors the Bear Creature from the movie pops out. Also in the mirror maze you see a man holding a glass saying "Great party isn't it"! You then enter The Gold Room where you see Lloyd the Bartender behind the bar and a drunk Jack Torrance in a seat in front of him. There are also many dead dancers in there. Then suddenly the power goes out and 2 of the dancers jump out and scare you.
The final scene is the hedge maze where you go through the maze with many Jack's jumping out each getting more and more snow-covered as you go forward. Eventually you reach Jack's frozen dead body and you exit the house.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Get Out, will ya?! Stay Out!- Dick Hallorann
- Please, Don't!- Wendy Torrance
- Danny? Danny Boy?!- Jack Torrance
- I corrected them, Sir.- Delbert Grady
- You will be Corrected.- Delbert Grady
- Hello, Danny. Come play with us. Come Play with us Danny. Forever, and ever, and ever!- The Grady Twins
- You'll be Corrected!- Delbert Grady
- Wendy, I'm Home!- Jack Torrance
- Little Pigs, Little Pigs, let me come in. Not by the hair of your chinny-chin-chin? Then I'll huff...and I'll puff...and I'll blow your house in- Jack Torrance
- Here's Johnny!- Jack Torrance
- Great Party, isn't it?!- Horace M. Derwent
- Good evening, Mr. Torrance. What would it be, sir?- Lloyd The Bartender
- Hair of the dog that bit me.- Jack Torrance
- Right away, Sir.- Lloyd The Bartender
- Danny? Danny Boy?!- Jack Torrance
- Danny!- Jack Torrance
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
- Dick Hallorann
- Wendy Torrance X2
- Jack Torrance X6
- Lorraine Massey X2
- Delbert Grady X2
- The Grady Twins
- Bear Creature
- Horace M. Derwent
- Lloyd the Bartender
- Undead Male Party Reveler
- Undead Female Party Reveler
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The challenge for the team in making this house was to make the house feel expanded, but also with a claustrophobic feel and checkbox moments that they and fans would want to see be recreated in the house. They also tried putting guests in the same positions Jack goes through in the film.
- Patrick Braillard considered this as the proverbial white whale house that the team had gotten to finally bring to the event.
- Universal had gotten to work with the producers of Kubrick's film to have the Hedge Maze map as accurate as it is seen in the film.
- The first white hallway with strange stuff on the wall was supposed to represent events as seen through Wendy Torrance's mind.
- The elevator hallways were supposed to represent the events as seen through Danny Torrance's mind.
- The mirror hallway all the way up to the Gold Room entrance was supposed to represent the events as seen through Jack Torrance's mind.
- An actual easter egg appeared in the bar scene inside of a shotglass.
|Halloween Horror Nights 27|
|Characters: Bone (Event Icon) • Jack Torrance • Ash Williams|
|Haunted Houses: American Horror Story: Volume 2 • Ash Vs. Evil Dead • Dead Waters • The Fallen • Hive • The Horrors of Blumhouse • SAW: The Games of Jigsaw • Scarecrow: The Reaping • The Shining|
|Scarezones: Altars of Horror • Festival of the Deadliest • Invasion! • The Purge • Trick 'r Treat|
|Unofficial Scarezone: Clownsaws|
|Shows: Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure • Academy of Villains: Afterlife|