- "Anything can be acquired, anything your heart desires."
|Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood attraction|
|The Curse of Pandora's Box|
|Attraction type||Haunted Maze|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights 2019|
|Park||Universal Studios Hollywood|
|Housed in||Tram Warehouse|
Description[edit | edit source]
Some things are never meant to be opened…sadly for you, someone already has, unleashing unimaginable evil. Welcome to “The Curse of Pandora’s Box” – the living nightmare netherworld of Hades, populated by the most fearsome monsters in Greek Mythology. Prepare for a trip through Hell where the demonic temptress Pandora serves as your guide. Once the box is opened and evil has been released…it can never be closed again!
Experience[edit | edit source]
Facade[edit | edit source]
The facade was a Curiosity Shop called "Pandora's Cabinet of Curiosities". There were glass displays in the facade showing skeletons and other relics. Red lights flashed around the facade and the voice of Pandora could be heard enticing guests to come inside. Guests would then enter the Curiosity Shop.
Haunted Maze[edit | edit source]
Inside the Curiosity Shop was many relics and books. Guests would turn around the corner of a glass display of many different animal skeletons before seeing a giant box with a woman's skeleton being grabbed by skeleton hands. The Box would then light up with UV and begin to open on its own. Guests would follow the red light emanating from the opening and enter the box.
Inside the box was a black hallway where Pandora would pop out from above. Guests would walk down another black hallway where there was a red revolving light pointed at them as two Lost Souls jumped out (one on the the left, the other on the right). Then, guests would be attacked by a group of Lost Souls.
Guests would then approach the Gates of Hell where Cerberus would attack them from the right and Pandora would scare guests from the left. After that, guests entered the Gates of Hell.
Inside the Gates of Hell were skeletons were laying over pits of lava while UV lights would flicker on and off before turning off and staying off for a few seconds. In this section there were two Lava Demons who would blend into the wall and use the darkness when the lights shut off as a way to disappear and then scare guests. Guests would then enter Tartarus.
Inside Tartarus was a collection of cages with skeletons inside and Harpies scattered throughout the scene. The same UV effect from the previous scene was used again here. In this section there were four Skeletons who were inside cages. They would periodically jump out of their cages to scare guests.
Guests would then enter a black hallway with wind blowing and see Harpies on both sides of them as UV lights flickered on and off to reveal them. They would then walk down another black hallway where Pandora would pop out in at the end of the hall before guests entered the Medusa section.
In Medusa's section there was a stone wall with a picture of Medusa on it. UV lights would flash on the picture and change Medusa from normal looking to her with fangs and snakes as her hair. The ruins of stone pillars surrounded the wall. Guests would then go into another room which had more stone ruins, frozen soldiers, and snakes. Guests would exit the scene into a short dark room where Medusa's Head popped out at them before they entered Hades' Lair.
In Hades' Lair were pillars with cobwebs on them and three Living Statues that would act static before popping out at guests to scare them. Also in the scene were the Judges of the Underworld (Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Aeacus). Guests would then walk past a giant Hades stilt-walker that would act asleep before then popping out at as they exited Hades' Lair.
Guests would go down a hallway with hanging cobwebbed corpses with green UV lights shining on them. The lighting in the hallway would flash on and off and there were cobwebs on the wall. At the end of the hallway, Arachne would pop out at guests. They would then enter a dark room with cobwebs and no lights where Arachne would pop out again from the left while an Arachne Victim would pop out from the right.
Guests would then go down a short black hallway before coming back to the box. It would light up again with UV lights as Pandora popped out from above the box. Guests would then exit the maze.
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
- Pandora x4
- Ghosts x2
- Skeleton Ghosts Army
- Lava Demons x2
- Skeletons x4
- Living Statues x3
- Arachne x2
- Arachne Victim
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Come inside, come inside. Anything can be acquired, anything your heart desires" - Pandora
- "Monsters, Demons, Hade’s Fire!” - Pandora
- “Evil Spirits...rise...awake! Here’s another soul to take!” - Pandora
- “Woe to those who reach the gate! Woe to those who tempt thy fate!”... - Pandora
- "Look upon thy brother’s doom. The fire of Hades hath consumed.” - Pandora
- “Heavy is the wage of sin! Woe to thee who labor in.” - Pandora
- “Harpies come to pick them clean. A feast so foul. A feast obscene.” - Pandora
- “Vanity a monstrous sin. Beauty hides the beast within!”... - Pandora
- “Ego’s ashes, bravery’s bones. Mighty warriors turned to stone.” - Pandora
- “Cobweb covered castle keep. Where kings of men forever sleep!” - Pandora
- “Thou dare not scream, hold thy breath! Lest ye awake The Lords of Death!”... - Pandora
- “Tangled in the spiders web. Can you feel your life force ebb? Now embrace the spider’s kiss. And stare into the dark abyss!” - Pandora
- “Once released, all hope is lost! You’ll never close Pandora’s box!" - Pandora
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Many things in the maze were reused from previous mazes:
- The dual scare idea with the Lost Souls was reused from AVP: Alien Vs Predator.
- The horde of Lost Souls was reused from The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven.
- The revolving light was reused from This is The End 3D.
- The Cerberus puppet was from An American Werewolf in London.
- The Lava Pits scenic and the Lava Demons were from Black Sabbath: 13-3D.
- The Upside Down cross with the body was from Urban Inferno.
- The Medusa changing effect was reused from Clowns 3D: Music by Slash.
- The Medusa head was from La Llorona: La Cazadora de Niños.
- The scenic for the Castle section was reused from Black Sabbath: 13-3D.
- The Arachne Victim mask was from Toxic Tunnel.
- In that same scene, the lights being off was similar to an effect used in This is The End 3D.
- This house was different from the other mazes that year as it had a heavy use of UV lighting technology and effects..
- Being that this was an original maze with Murdy and teams' own version of Pandora imagined as a horror character, they felt that they needed to give her a voice so Murdy actually wrote a series of rhyming couplets to guide you through the experience. This was the first time he's ever written poetry for Halloween Horror Nights..
- In the original Greek myth, which dates back to at least 700 BC, Pandora is a bit of a passive character, so Murdy and co. re-imagined her a "Scary as Hell Female Horror Villain"..
- Murdy had said the idea for them to make this maze came from Art Director Chris Williams' basic idea that was later fleshed out with John to make the maze happen..
- Pandora's look was very inspired by Nosferatu.
- The lines spoken by Pandora in the maze was spoken by the Sound Designer's wife 
- There was a Monkey Paw inside a glass jar in the facade which was a reference to Monkeypaw Productions.
- The opening scene had many things that hinted at what's inside the box: The actual box, cages in the top left/right (Caged Skeletons), snakes on the box (Medusa), horns on the skeletons (Hades), white souls (Lost Souls), cobwebs on a skeleton (Arachne), and a pillar next to the box with 3 dog heads on it (Cerberus).
- The Lament Configuration from Hellraiser was hidden as an easter egg in the opening scene.
- Many of the props in the opening scene were from the 1999 film, The Mummy..
- There were nine Ouija Boards hidden in the opening scene of the maze..
- The Log Bunny made a cameo appearance in the opening scene on the closing weekend of the event.
- On the table on the right before guests entered the box was a mirror with writing on it. The writing on it said "Help".
- The giant Medusa head in this maze was a redesigned version of the giant La Llorona head in La Llorona: Villa de Almas Perdidas. They were originally going to use the snake coil from Alice Cooper Goes to Hell 3D as a live scareactor with a custom mask, but someone threw the snake away.
- The Masks in the Arachnoid Spider People scene are actual masks made by Trick or Treat Studios.
- Both this maze and Holidayz in Hell came full circle with the beginnings of their maze and endings. This maze started with guests entering the box and the last scene was guests exiting the box.
- Murdy's favorite scene in the maze was the Curiosity Shop .
References[edit | edit source]
|Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2019|
|Haunted Mazes: Stranger Things • Holidayz in Hell • Universal Monsters: Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man • The Walking Dead Attraction • Ghostbusters • Killer Klowns From Outer Space • Creepshow • Us • House of 1000 Corpses • The Curse of Pandora's Box|
|Scarezones: Fallen Angelz • Spirits & Demons of the East • Christmas in Hell • ToXXXic Tunnel • All Hallow's Evil|
|Unofficial Scarezone: Halloween Chainsaw Maniacs|
|Other Attraction: 80s Throwback Thursdays|