|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando attraction|
|Attraction type||Haunted House|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights 28|
|Park||Universal Studios Florida|
|Housed in||Soundstage 22|
|Based on||Stranger Things Season 1 (2016)|
|Stranger Things (2019)|
History and Location[edit | edit source]
On April 3rd, 2018, Universal announced that a haunted house based on season 1 of the Stranger Things TV show would be coming to their Halloween Horror Nights event that year. The codename for this house was "Fireball", a reference to Dungeons and Dragons.
The house would be located in Soundstage 22, one of the smaller soundstage facilities designed to be used as filming locations for movies and television shows. The house would be very popular, and would go on to win the House of the Year award in 2018. The following year, the house would get a sequel based on seasons 2 and 3 of the show. It would also be called Stranger Things.
Description[edit | edit source]
Halloween Horror Nights™ takes you deep inside the haunting world of Netflix’s STRANGER THINGS. The Demogorgon is hunting in our world now.
The Demogorgon is hunting in our world now. Halloween Horror Nights takes you deep inside the haunting world of STRANGER THINGS. From a secret government lab where vile human experiments have opened the gates of chaos, to the terrifying emptiness of the Void. From the darkest corners of Hawkins, Indiana, where homes and walls offer no protection, to the monster-filled reality of the Upside Down. As you try to escape these nightmares, in footsteps of the show’s heroes, you are certain of only one thing—The Demogorgon is moving closer.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Queue[edit | edit source]
The entrance to the queue for this house was right outside the Universal Music Plaza. The line would usually (on peak nights) be over 100 minutes long. The queue for this house went through the Universal Music Plaza. The guests then started walking towards Soundstage 22 and entered the soundstage from the left side.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
When the guests entered the soundstage, they were greeted with the inside of the Hawkins National Laboratory as it appears in the opening scene of the show. A Demogorgon would pop out on the right, and in front of the guests was a scientist that was hung on the ceiling. Pressing the blue elevator button would make him wiggle. A small dark room with a Demogorgon came after that. The guests would then enter a room where the logo for Stranger Things formed on a screen. After that, they would enter the fenced area outside of the laboratory which led to Mirkwood, where another Demogorgon would pop out. Dustin (talking to Mike via walkie-talkie) was outside of the Byers shed. The guests would then enter the shed, where Will could be seen with a shotgun and another Demogorgon popped out.
The guests would then walk to the outside of the Byers house, where Mike (sometimes replaced with Lucas Sinclair) would appear from behind some sheets. After that they entered the house, where Christmas lights would flicker and letters could be seen written on the walls. Joyce could also be seen destroying the walls of the house with an axe and on the wall next to her an outline of a Demogorgon can be seen trying to come through the wall. The guests walked past the kitchen, where Steve (Sometimes replaced with Nancy with a gun) would pop out with his nail bat. Then the guests would walk through one of the hallways of the house, where a Demogorgon would jump out of a door on your left and another will come out from behind a painting that drops down on your right. The guests would continue down the hallway until they reached Will's room, where they would then enter the Upside Down.
The guests would then go through a cave leading to a forest where Nancy would jump out along with another Demogorgon. After that, they entered the upside-down version of the Hawkins National Laboratory where Sheriff Hopper and a few other people in hazmat suits would shoot at them. The guests then entered an upside-down library (with the corpse of Barb and the still alive body of Will stuck in the wall) where Joyce and Hopper would pop out in hazmat suits. They would then enter the Hawkins Middle School, where a Demogorgon could be seen behind a wall. Two Hawkins Agents jump out with their eyes bleeding, caused by Eleven who could be seen inside of a classroom killing the Demogorgon. After that is a dark corridor with two Demogorgons popping out. At the very end of the house, Eleven and one final Demogorgon would pop out.
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
- Demogorgon X around 14
- Dustin Henderson
- Will Byers
- Mike Wheeler (sometimes replaced with Lucas Sinclair)
- Joyce Byers X2
- Steve Harrington (Sometimes replaced by Nancy Wheeler)
- Jim Hopper X2
- Nancy Wheeler X1-2
- Hazmat Men X2
- Hawkins Agent
- Connie Frazier
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The house was opened during normal park hours on November 6, 2018 (also known as Stranger Things Day, as this was the date in 1983 on which Will Byers disappeared in the first season of the show). At the time it had been the only time an Orlando Halloween Horror Nights house has been open for operation outside of a Horror Night event. Queue times during the day went as high as 75 minutes.
- Netflix had partnered with the A&D team and gave them access to video content, audio content, and blueprints to the Byers home and recreated many of the key scenes as well.
- According to Patrick Braillard as a little easter egg, every piece of decor are Pre-1984 in the entire house.
- Netflix gave A&D the blessing to further the story of Season 1 by letting them include The Demogorgon lurking about and hunting at every turn while following the the boys throughout their journey in Hawkins.
- According to Mike Aiello has said at the time that gaining this ip was a white whale since the show had been generating a lot of populairity with fans.
- Patrick Brillard has said that when creating the house with the team was that wanted to have the goal in mind of making guests feel like being on the show and parllalel to the kids' journey of how they went about understanding what the Demogorgon was and being chased and captured by the Demogorgon.
- The creative team identify The Demogorgon for this house as The Big Bad.
- In the Murkwood scene, there is an audio trigger that is relayed later on in the house that tells the same story but because characters are in difference of space have been recorded as if further away from each other, you get a sense of travel of the characters.
- One of the biggest challenges in creating the Demogorgon for the house was that in the show itself, the creature is very CGI, so they needed to find a way of working with different molds and costumes that would be "Scareactor friendly" while alsobein true to what it looks like on the show as well.
- The universal creative team used a 3D Printer in creating the teeth for The Demogorgon's head
- Some of the Demogorgons were played by scareactors in full costume while some others used puppets.
|Halloween Horror Nights 28|
|Haunted Houses: Stranger Things • Dead Exposure: Patient Zero • Trick 'r Treat • Slaughter Sinema • Carnival Graveyard: Rust in Pieces • Seeds of Extinction • Poltergeist • Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers • The Horrors of Blumhouse • Scary Tales: Deadly Ever After|
|Scarezones: The Harvest • Revenge of Chucky • Killer Klowns From Outer Space • Vamp '85: New Year's Eve • Twisted Tradition|
|Unofficial Scarezones: Roaming Mechanics • Chainsaw Carnies|
|Show: Academy of Villains: Cyberpunk|