|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando event|
|Halloween Horror Nights IX|
|Slogan||Last Gasp/ Sayonara|
|Number of haunted houses||5|
|Number of scarezones||1|
|Preceded by||Halloween Horror Nights VIII|
|Followed by||Halloween Horror Nights X|
Halloween Horror Nights IX: Last Gasp was the ninth annual Halloween Horror Nights event in Orlando. Located in Universal Studios Florida, the event was advertised with a depiction of The Mummy calling it the "Last Gasp". The event featured five haunted houses, including the first 3-D house in Halloween Horror Nights history, one scarezone, two shows, and a parade, and was held for 19 days in October 1999.
It had the second Icon in the form of Imhotep who was present in advertising and had appearances in the house and parade.
In the ancient times of a land of sand and wonder- if caused under the backs of slaves- it all began as some stories begin; with a tale of love. The high preist of Egypt Imhotep, was very much infatuated with a woman named Anck su Namun. There was just one problem- no other man than the Pharoah could touch her; as she was the Pharoah’s chosen wife. Imhotep chose a solution to this problem- they would kill the Pharoah. Unfortunately, Anck su Namun had to sacrifice her own life so that Imhotep could resurrect her; as soon someone called the Medjai on them.
Imhotep and his priests went to the Ciry of the Dead, Hamunaptra, where they recited the ancient spells that would bring Anck Su Namun’s soul back to her body and mind- and they would have succeeded if were not for those meddling Medjai. The Medjai ordered that Imhotep’s priests would be mummified alive and saved for Imhotep a most terrible curse- Imhotep would be sentenced to the Mom-Dai, which would give him everlasting life and powers beyond reason, but he would not get to feel any of it as he would be cursed into an eternal sleep. That and being eaten by scarabs for a very long time.
The Medjai had the sarcophagus buried deep within Hamunaptra, so that Imhotep would never be released again.
This was a fruitless effort as the Sumerian God Adaru, in his plot to consume the darkness (fear) of the minds of those who attend a certain event, had somehow obtained the sarcophagus and brought it to Universal Studios Florida. Under Adaru’s command, he resurrected Imhotep from his slumber; and chose him to take over the 9th annual Halloween Horror Nights to being more power to his cause.
Helming the event, Imhotep would use his newly found dark powers to summon characters such as Norman Bates, inmates from the Fairvayle Sanitarium, and the Universal Classic Monsters to collect and instill terror on those who ventured into his new Horror Nights. He himself resided in and would transport guests into his Egyptian homeworld, where he awoke his mummified priests and performed live mummifications on those who ventured into Hamunaptra.
Imhotep: Imhotep was the icon of Halloween Horror Nights IX. He had his own house set in Hamunsptra and was featured in the parade.
Universal Classic Monsters: The monsters who have terrorized Cinema in the 30s. Unfortunately they don’t seem to gather as much fear as they used to. Imhotep re-energized the monsters with new forms.
Dates & Times
October 1-2, 8-9, 14-17, & 21-31 1999
Sunday through Thursday ran from 7:00 PM to 12:00 AM (Except October 1 & 8)
Friday and Saturday ran from 7:00 PM to 2:00 AM
Single Admission: $42.00 + tax
- Doomsday (Earthquake Queue), Go on a journey through the warped underground of New York City as the impending arrival of the Millennium brings out the worst in the city that never sleeps.
- Insanity (Soundstage 22), Revenge-crazed inmates are running the asylum!
- The Mummy (Earthquake Queue), Navigate the depths of a mysterious Egyptian tomb and face ancient priests who want to make you a permanent resident.
- Psycho: Through the Mind of Norman Bates (Soundstage 22), Experience the chillingly violent images that torment Norman's soul. For heavens sake, DON'T GO IN THE SHOWER!
- Universal's Creature Features in 3-D (Nazarman's), Put on your 3-D glasses, as some of Hollywood's worst nightmares literally jump off the screen of a neighborhood movie theater at Florida's first ever 3-D haunted maze.
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure VIII (Wild West Stage)
- Deadly D'Illusions (Animal Actors Stage)
- Festival of the Dead Parade (Parade Route)
- Tricks or Treats: Dead Man's Party (Mel's Drive-In Stage)
- Terminator 2: 3-D Battle Across Time (Hollywood)
- Twister: Ride It Out (New York)
- Kongfrontation (New York)
- Earthquake: The Big One (San Francisco)
- JAWS (Amity)
- Back to the Future: The Ride (World Expo)
- The Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera (Production Central)
- Universal Studios' Classic Monsters Cafe (Production Central): At 10PM the Cafe transforms into Club Cadaver with a "live" DJ and dancing. (Fri. & Sat. except October 1 & 8). Grab a "bite" where all the biggest stars hang out (classic horror stars, that is). Amid classic sci-fi and horror movie memorabilia you'll enjoy monster salads; frightfully good pizza, pasta and rotisserie chicken; devilishly rich desserts and more. Trust us... the food is to die for! Stop by our inside bar for a refreshing beverage.
- Stage 54: The Mummy (Soundstage 54)
Halloween Horror Nights IX Merchandise and Collectibles
|Halloween Horror Nights IX|
|Characters: The Mummy (Event Icon) • Norman Bates|
|Haunted Houses: Doomsday • Insanity • The Mummy • Psycho: Through the Mind of Norman Bates • Universal's Creature Features in 3-D|
|Scarezones: Midway of the Bizarre|
|Shows: Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure VIII • Festival of the Dead Parade • Deadly D'Illusions • Tricks or Treats: Dead Man's Party|
|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando|
|Event Additions: 1991 • 1992 • 1993 • 1994 • 1995 • 1996 • 1997 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2001 • 2002 • 2003 • 2004 • 2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021|