- "He has come for you"
- "You've taken a wrong turn somehow. You're lost in a strange place. The darkness thickens as an eerie mist surrounds you. There's a light up ahead - the beacon from a lighthouse. Your step quickens as a sense of relief washes over you. As long as you can reach the lighthouse, you know you'll be safe.
- The mist clears and you realize there will be no safe port for you tonight: you will be pursued by science gone astray, tortured by ancient demons, tormented by cartoonish freaks, run through a city gone bad, and welcomed into a house that you may never escape alive from.
- You have stumbled into Islands of Fear."
- -Press release info from IOACENTRAL
|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando event|
|Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear|
|Slogan||Islands of Fear/ Your time has come/Are you ready to meet The Caretaker?|
Screamhouse (originally House of Dead Maniacs)
|Number of haunted house||5|
|Number of scarezones||6|
|Preceded by||Halloween Horror Nights XI|
|Followed by||Halloween Horror Nights 13|
Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear was the 12th annual Halloween Horror Nights event in Orlando. Located for the first time in the new theme park, Islands of Adventure, it was advertised with the tagline "Your Time Has Come".
Hosted by The Caretaker, the event revolved around his followers and imaginations.
The event featured five haunted houses, six scarezones, three shows, and a special dance party area, and ran for 21 days from October 4 to November 2, 2002. A documentary that aired on the Travel Channel was filmed during the event, which allowed cameras to film the houses and gave other background information.
- 1 History
- 2 The Event
- 3 Dates & Times
- 4 Ticket Prices
- 5 Attractions
- 6 Articles
- 7 Trip Report
- 8 Website Pictures
- 9 Website Videos
- 10 Pictures
- 11 Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear Merchandise and Collectibles
- 12 Videos
- 13 Trivia
- 14 See Also
History[edit | edit source]
Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear was documented in the Travel Channel special The Art of the Scare, produced by Lightship Entertainment. It documented the houses, special effects, and the overall feel of the event.
The Caretaker was not the original icon for Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear. Cindy, the demented little daughter of mortuary owner Paul Bearer, was originally the icon of the event. In the event's premise, every land would be ruled over by her "playthings" - Spider-Man's nemesis Carnage, Nightmare, the Treaks and Foons, and The Grinch. Unfortunately, after a string of child abductions in the area, Cindy was abandoned and her father Paul Bearer morphed into Albert Caine. Cindy would later be introduced as The Caretaker's daughter and appeared with her father in the Shadows from the Past scarezone at Halloween Horror Nights: Ripped from the Silver Screen.
Caine was portrayed by actor Bryce Ward for publicity and television appearances, and an elaborate Opening Scare-a-monies which featured a victim being tortured by snakes and scorpions before being gutted.
The Event[edit | edit source]
"Take a terrifying journey through your own worst fears as the Caretaker transforms Islands of Adventure into one disturbing, horrifying nightmare after another."
In 2002, the event was moved from the Universal Studios park to its adjacent sister park, Islands of Adventure. The year's houses revolved around the imaginations of Dr. Albert Caine, also known as The Caretaker. Dr. Caine would lure his victims to his Victorian Manor to operate on them and find their soul.
Notable Characters[edit | edit source]
Albert Caine- Formerly a surgeon and current caretaker of a funeral home, he became interested in the workings of the body and mind. He went on to do obscene experiments on the dead and living alike. In retaliation, a mob burned down his home, but he fled the scene through tunnels. With the aid of his true god, he infected the Islands with his darkness and created his own servants.
Kletus Kassidy- A former serial killer, he came across a strange symbiote from outer space and merged with it. In turn he became a far more menacing figure with few morally redeeming qualities. Albert Caine chose him as one of his servants and aided him in his alliance with the other Marvel Supervillains. With his hatred of the Marvel heroes, Albert ordered them to kill the heroes and take over their island.
The Treaks and Foons- Having a harder time turning the land of toons into darkness, Albert brought forth creatures who were neutered and made to smile all the time. The Treaks and Foons like to play pranks and have fun, but do not be fooled by them. They might have had a hand in creating a world where the fairy tales turned scary.
Dates & Times[edit | edit source]
Event Nights[edit | edit source]
October 4-5, 10-13, 16- 20, 23-27, & 29-31 2002
November 1-2 2002
Event Times[edit | edit source]
Sunday through Thursday ran from 7:00 PM to 12:00 AM
Friday and Saturday ran from 7:00 PM to 2:00 AM
Ticket Prices[edit | edit source]
Single Admission: $49.95 + tax
Frequent Fear: $19.95 + admission + tax
Attractions[edit | edit source]
Haunted Houses[edit | edit source]
- Maximum Carnage (Carnage Warehouse): Venture into the labyrinth-like secret hideout of the malevolent Carnage, an insane criminal with incredible alien powers, who's bent on mindless destruction.
- Scary Tales II (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges Queue): Step into the pages of the grimmest fairy tales ever told, where nobody lives happily ever after… In fact, nobody lives.
- Fear Factor (Thunderfalls Terrace): Imagine a place where your greatest fears become reality. Feel your way through absolute darkness in room crawling with insects, snakes, spiders, worms, rats and more.
- Project Evilution (Triceratops Discovery Trail): Deep within the jungle, top secret genetic experiments have gone horribly wrong, creating hideous mutants half human, half dinosaur... and all evil.
- Screamhouse (Soundstage 20): There's something disturbing about this small town mortuary. The bodies just don't want to stay dead - and they don't want YOU to leave!
Scarezones[edit | edit source]
- Port of Evil (Port of Entry): Enter an eerie, mist-shrouded port city where unseen creatures and unspeakable horrors lurk around every corner.
- Island Under Siege (Marvel Super Hero Island): The super heroes have all been defeated. Now you're trapped on a decaying, lawless island under siege by the minions of the most vicious super villain of all, Carnage.
- Treaks and Foons (Toon Lagoon): "The joke's on you as you cross a weird, maddening landscape populated by disturbing, cartoonish freaks whose idea of fun is scaring you silly."
- JP Extinction (Jurassic Park): The power is out. The gates are down. Packs of carnivorous dinosaurs are loose in the park...and there's something very strange, very deadly stalking you as well!
- Island of Evil Souls (Lost Continent): The imposing figure of Nightmare blocks your entry to this hellish netherworld of ancient demons and fiery torments. Do you dare to pass?
- Boo-Ville (Seuss Landing): All the Whos are behind locked doors. As darkness falls, the mischievous spirit of Halloween descends upon the deserted streets. Does it bring treats...or tricks?
Shows[edit | edit source]
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure (Toon Lagoon Amphitheater): Party on as those two time traveling dudes are back in a most excellent new adventure featuring your favorite TV and movie characters.
- Fountain of Evil (Lost Continent): The spirit in this fountain won't grant your wish... especially if your wish is to escape unscathed.
- Studio 666 (Enchanted Oak Tavern): Gather all your friends and dance the night away as the hottest nightspot in the land of dead comes alive with pulse-pounding, high energy music.
- Town Square of Tortured Souls (Port of Entry): Hide your eyes and cover your ears as the shrieking victims of electric chairs, iron maidens, and other torture devices set the mood for what's to come...
Other Attractions[edit | edit source]
- Caro-Seuss-el (Seuss Landing)
- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (Seuss Landing)
- The Cat in the Hat (Peak Nights only) (Seuss Landing)
- The Flying Unicorn (Lost Continent)
- Poseidon's Fury (Lost Continent)
- Dueling Dragons (Lost Continent)
- The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad (Peak Nights only) (Lost Continent)
- Jurassic Park River Adventure (Jurassic Park)
- Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls (Toon Lagoon)
- Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges (Peak Nights only) (Toon Lagoon)
- The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (Marvel Super Hero Island)
- Doctor Doom's Fearfall (Marvel Super Hero Island)
- Incredible Hulk Coaster (Marvel Super Hero Island)
- Storm Force Accelatron (Peak Nights only) (Marvel Super Hero Island)
Articles[edit | edit source]
- Scaring Up Business
- Hotel of evil
- Skullteacher of the Year
- Where's Cindy? Universal's Caretaker got there first
- Fright — The Universal Experience
Trip Report[edit | edit source]
Website Pictures[edit | edit source]
Website Videos[edit | edit source]
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear Merchandise and Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
- Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear Commercial
- Commercial 2
- Home Video
- Short History Video
- Scarezones Video
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- One of the commercials was filmed in Sting Alley.
- The original concept of the event would have featured a show on the lagoon titled, "Danse Macabre". The show would be about a battle between good and evil with red lights being shown over the lagoon. The show would feature water cannons, airboats, ominous music, and floating banshees.
- Allegedly, the even was going to have a house based on House of 1000 Corpses, which Universal was going to produce at the time. However, the film and the house eventually fell through. (Check the old ChainsawWolf threads on archive.org for proof)
- This is one of the most IP-Heavy pre-2012 events, with even its main Icon being heavily inspired by many different IPs. The difference between here and the post-2011 events is that the creative team was given far more leeway to create semi-original concepts for the IPs.
- There was going to be a parade featured at the event. Concept of it can be seen here.
- A house based on the 1982 movie, The Thing, was supposed to be featured during this year. However, the event never made it past conceptual design. The concept of it could be seen here.
See Also[edit | edit source]
|Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear|
|Characters: The Caretaker (Event Icon) • Cindy Caine (Scrapped Icon) • Carnage • Treaks and Foons • Dr. Burton • Dino-Men • Nightmare|
|Haunted Houses: Fear Factor • Maximum Carnage • Project Evilution • Scary Tales II • Screamhouse|
|Scarezones: Boo-Ville • Island of Evil Souls • Island Under Siege • JP Extinction • Treaks and Foons • Port of Evil|
|Shows: Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure • Fountain of Evil • Studio 666 • Town Square of Tortured Souls|
|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando|
|Event Additions: 1991 • 1992 • 1993 • 1994 • 1995 • 1996 • 1997 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2001 • 2002 • 2003 • 2004 • 2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021|