|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando attraction|
|Hades: The Gates of Ruin|
|Attraction type||Haunted House|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights: Twenty Years of Fear|
|Park||Universal Studios Florida|
|Housed in||Soundstage 23|
|Based on||Greek Mythology/ Clash of the Titans|
Hades: The Gates of Ruin was one of the eight haunted houses that were featured during Halloween Horror Nights: Twenty Years of Fear. It was located in Soundstage 23 along with PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook.
History and Location[edit | edit source]
In 2010, Universal decided to have haunted house based on Greek mythology. The house would take place in the Underworld and would feature many mythological creatures like Medusa and The Minotaur. It would be called Hades: The Gates of Ruin.
The house would make event history, as it was most likely the very first haunted house based on Greek Mythology.
The house would be one of two located in Soundstage 23, the other one being PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook. Soundstage 23 is one of the larger soundstage facilities designed to be used as filming locations for movies and television shows.
Description[edit | edit source]
Make your way into the underworld and come face to face with the most terrifying creatures of myth and legend.
Hades bids you welcome. Make your way into the Underworld, and come face to face with the most terrifying creatures of legend as you cross through the Gates of Ruin.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Queue and Facade[edit | edit source]
Guests would enter the queue across from the New York Public Library. The queue would go towards Soundstage 23, where guests entered the house.
Guests made their way into a small crumbled temple, and eventually reached a large head carved into a mountain. Greek mythology stories were in books for guests to read. Guests entered through the Gates of Ruin, a large head carved into a mountain.
Haunted House[edit | edit source]
Guests then wandered through tight spaced maze of overgrown moss, and at the end stood a six foot Hades. Guests then continued into the Cyclops room, in which severed body parts hung from the ceiling, and the cyclops attacks guests. Guests then moved into another maze, but this time with harpies flying above them, and taunting them. Exiting the scene, guests entered the temple of Medusa. Strobe lights, and shadows of Medusa turning people into stone are seen in one room. Moving into the next area, guests saw Medusa and her statues. In the finale, Hades unleashed Pandora's box into the world, and grief, misery, havoc, starvation, and doom (in their scareactor manifestations) attacked guests. As guests left the house, the word HOPE was graffiti'd onto the wall behind them.
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
Website Pictures[edit | edit source]
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This house is one of the first attractions in the haunt industry that was based on Greek Mythology.
- The River of Sticks as known in Greek Mythology was featured in the house.
- In the Cyclops room, there is a scareactor of a human with one eye who tries to be a Cyclops. Legend says that people who wanted to be a Cyclops did it for one of two reasons. Either they thought it would save their life, or they were demented enough to think they could be one by taking out their own eye.
- Originally in one of the scenes of the house, there was a bunch of mulch and bark on the floor. However, the scene wasn't really effective as it slowed down the lines and wasn't safe for wheelchairs.
- Lots of SIF was used in this house. The SIF was very flammable, so much so that once a week the SIF would have to be sprayed down with flame retardant.
- In Medusa's scene, you could see her reflection on one of the shields. The reflection used the same mask that the Medusa scareactor was wearing, which made for an effective scare.
- This was one of the first houses that they used motorized electronic boo windows.
- The Minotaur scene uses the mirror effect that has been used in past Halloween Horror Nights houses.
|Halloween Horror Nights: Twenty Years of Fear|
|Characters: Fear (Event Icon) • Jack the Clown • The Caretaker • The Director • The Storyteller • The Usher • Cindy Caine • Eddie Schmidt • Chance • The Inmates of Shadybrook Asylum|
|Haunted Houses: Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate • PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook • Hades: The Gates of Ruin • ZombieGeddon • The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes • Havoc: Dogs of War • Catacombs: Black Death Rising • Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past|
|Scarezones: Esqueleto Muerte • The Coven • Saws N' Steam • Zombie Gras • Fear Revealed • HHN: 20 Years of Fear|
|Shows: Brian Brushwood: Menace and Malice • Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure|