|Halloween Horror Nights Orlando attraction|
|Attraction type||Haunted House|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights 29|
|Park||Universal Studios Florida|
|Housed in||Soundstage 22|
|Based on||Ghostbusters (1984)|
History and Location[edit | edit source]
On July 17th, 2019, Universal announced that a haunted house based on the 1984 film Ghostbusters would be coming to their Halloween Horror Nights event that year. The codename for this house was "hysteria", a reference to the famous mass hysteria line from the film.
The house would be located in Soundstage 22, one of the smaller soundstage facilities designed to be used as filming locations for movies and television shows.
Description[edit | edit source]
Step right into the original Ghostbusters film where ghoulish spirits and ectoplasm-dripping phantasms materialize where you least expect.
AIN'T AFRAID OF NO GHOSTS?
A rift between worlds has opened up releasing apparitions of every shape and size, from the voracious Slimer to the all-powerful Gozer the Gozerian.
Step right into the world of the original film where ghoulish spirits, hideous specters and ectoplasm-dripping phantasms materialize where you least expect. Your screams only attract more ghosts, and even the Ghostbusters and their proton packs may not be able to avert a catastrophe this big.
And we're talking Stay Puft Marshmallow Man big.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Queue[edit | edit source]
The entrance to the queue for this house was right outside the Universal Music Plaza. The line for this house went through the Universal Music Plaza. Guests would then start walking towards Soundstage 22 and enter the soundstage from the left side.
Walkthrough [edit | edit source]
After guests entered the soundstage, they were greeted by a wall with a doorway that said "Public Library". Entering the library, guests would be surrounded by books (some of which would move) and shelves covered with slimy ectoplasm. Behind a bookshelf, guests could see a floating ghost, hovering forward. Turning the corner, guests would see a hologram depicting the Library Ghost who would periodically shush guests. The following room featured the Library Ghost (now turned into a hideous monster) jumping out at guests. The next scene was the Ghostbusters Firehouse. Inside Janine Melnitz could be seen at her desk answering phonecalls for the Ghostbusters. The following room was a hallway in a hotel. Guests could see a hologram of Slimer behind a flaming cart laughing and disappearing through a wall. Guests could also hear the voice of the Chambermaid in this hallway. Slimer would then jump out of a different wall in the following room. After that, guests could see Egon Spengler trying to catch Slimer on the left, while Ray Stantz jumps out on the right.
The following room was Dana Barrett's apartment, where Dana could be seen on a chair being grabbed by a hand on said chair. Walking past, guests would be attacked by claws ripping their way through a door. Next to this, a figure can be seen pushing its way through a glowing door. Guests would then enter the ghost container room, where the Containment Unit shuts down and releases all of the ghosts as Walter Peck's voice can be heard. The next hallway was very dark, and featured many brightly colored ghosts. First, the Wendigo Skull Ghost would pop out at the right to scare guests. Then Nunzio Scoleri would pop out at the left scaring guests while making an evil laugh. At the end of the hallway, Tony Scoleri would pop out and scare guests as they exited the hallway. After that, guests would enter an alleyway, where Winston Zeddemore would jump out. Going further down this alleyway, guests would see the Ring Leader Ghost from the 2016 Ghostbusters film, the Subway Ghost would pop out of an underground subway to scare guests, and a window that periodically falls to reveal the Cab Driver Ghost. The next room featured a glowing green cart while noises of Slimer eating can be heard.
The next room features a possessed Dana Barrett behind a hole in the wall lying on top of a tall building while lightning strikes. Behind her is a painting of the skyline of New York, giving guests the feeling that they were on top of a tall building. Louis Tully would jump out from behind the same hole. Afterward, guests would be attacked by a pair of Terror Dogs. The following room featured Gozer the Gozerian standing on top of a staircase in her temple with a large gateway on top, while another Ray Stantz jumps out on the left. Afterwards, guests would see another dog, followed by the head of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man peering over a wall. He would start out smiling and eventually catch on fire and turn brown. Guests would then enter a room with dripping melted marshmallows covering the walls. Peter Venkman would jump out from a boo-hole celebrating Stay Puft's defeat. The final room featured Slimer jumping out at guests for one final scare.
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
- Library Ghost
- Janine Melnitz
- Slimer X2
- Egon Spengler
- Ray Stantz X2
- Dana Barrett x2
- Chair Arm Ghost
- Wendigo Skull Ghost
- Nunzio Scoleri
- Tony Scoleri
- Winston Zeddemore
- Ring Leader Ghost
- Zombie Cab Driver
- Subway Ghost
- Louis Tully
- Vinz Clortho x2
- Gozer the Gozerian
- Peter Venkman
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- The phone-in topic Today: "Ghosts and Ghostbusting." The controversy builds, more sightings are reported, some maintain that these professional paranormal eliminators in New York are the cause of it all. - Larry King
- Still making headlines all across the country, the Ghostbusters are at it again. This time, at the fashionable dance club, "The Rose." The boys in gray slugged it out with a pretty pesky poltergeist, then stayed on to dance the night away with some of the lovely ladies who witnessed the disturbance. This is Casey Kasem. Now, on with the countdown. - Casey Kasem
- Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! - Peter Venkman
- This happen to you before? First time? - Peter Venkman
- Get her! -Ray Stantz
- Ghostbusters, what do you want? -Janine Melnitz
- We got one! -Janine Melnitz
- The hell are you doing? - Chambermaid
- He slimed me - Peter Venkman
- Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! - Peter Venkman
- Ok i'm opening the trap, don't look directly at the trap! - Ray Stantz
- I looked at the trap Ray! - Egon Spengler
- Sir, what you had there was what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm, or a Class 5 Full Roaming Vapor. A real nasty one, too - Ray Stantz
- Okay, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
- These men are in criminal violation of the Environmental Protection Act! Shut it off! - Walter Peck
- I love this town! - Winston Zeddemore
- Are you the Keymaster? I am the Gate Keeper - Dana Barrett
- There is no dana, only zuul! - Dana Barrett
- I am the Keymaster - Louis Tully
- Hey... Where these stairs go? - Ray Stantz
- They go up - Peter Venkman
- Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown - Peter Venkman
- Are you a god? - Gozer the Gozerian
- No? - Ray Stantz
- Then....DIE! - Gozer the Gozerian
- Choose....choose the form of the destructor - Gozer the Gozerian
- It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man - Ray Stantz
- We came, we saw, we kicked its ass! - Peter Venkman
Sound Effects[edit | edit source]
Wendigo Skull Ghost's Roar
Nunzio Scoleri's Laugh
Tony Scoleri's Laugh
Ring Leader Ghost Sound Effect
Zombie Cab Driver's Sound Effect
Subway Ghost's Scream
Slimer eating hot dogs
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although this house is mainly based on the original Ghostbusters movie, the house also features ghosts from other movies in the franchise, notably the Scoleri Brothers from Ghostbusters II and the Stiltwalking Ghost from Ghostbusters (2016).
- A Legendary Truth sticker can be seen on a book in the library.
- Due to a request from Sony, the proton packs actually weigh the 60 Ibs that they allegedly wear in the movie.
- Later on in the event, the ghost hands that grabbed at Dana broke. The scare actor playing Dana would have to hold the ghost hands and do the effect manually.
- Halloween Horror Nights Designers were determined to let fans explore famous and familiar scenes in new immersive ways.
- If you kept your eyes out for an iconic opening and closing ghost trap from the film, Charles Gray wanted to make sure die-hard fans got to see the trap activate inside the house.
- You might have smelled some of the ghostly events before you saw them in the house.
- One of David Hughes least favorite thing about this house was trying to cram everything in the soundstage because they would have had wanted to make it twice as big as they could to fit everything.
- David Hughes favorite thing about making the house was trying to see how they would do the ghost effects or the little effects in one place or the other.
- David Hughes loves both iterations of Slimer from the peppers ghost to the physical embodiment that appears in the house.
- Charles Gray was most stressed but most happy about this house when writing out the house from scene to scene and picking out what should be importantly seen in the house or encountered with in the house but hard to do when everything in the film he believed should be featured in the house.
|Halloween Horror Nights 29|
|Haunted Houses: Stranger Things • Nightingales: Blood Pit • Universal Monsters • Depths of Fear • Yeti: Terror of the Yukon • Ghostbusters • Killer Klowns From Outer Space • Us • Graveyard Games • House of 1000 Corpses|
|Scarezones: Zombieland Double Tap • Rob Zombie HellBilly Deluxe • Anarch-Cade • Vanity Ball • Vikings Undead|
|Unofficial Scarezone: Skele-Saws|
|Shows: Academy of Villains: Altered States • Halloween Marathon of Mayhem|