Halloween Horror Nights Orlando attraction
|Attraction type||Haunted House|
|Event||Halloween Horror Nights 22|
|Park||Universal Studios Florida|
The Philp Experiment
History and Location[edit | edit source]
On August 30th, 2012, Universal announced that an original haunted house based on an actual haunted house would be featured during Halloween Horror Nights 22. The house would feature all kinds of ghosts.
The house would be one of two located in Soundstage 20, the other one being Gothic. Soundstage 20 is one of the larger soundstage facilities designed to be used as filming locations for movies and television shows. These two houses would be the last two haunted houses located in Soundstage 20.
Description[edit | edit source]
If enough people believe in something, perception can become reality. In Carey, Ohio, the perception was that countless horrific acts had occurred in the old Hartford Mansion. The reality was that the curse which befell the house was far worse than any story ever told.
In Carey, Ohio, the Hartford Mansion was cursed after horrific acts occurred inside. And the truth is the deadliest part of all.
Story[edit | edit source]
A house was built in the 1890's by Kathrine and Victor Hartford. Their life was mundane, until their death in the 1950s. In the 1980's a group of kids believed the house was haunted because of it's decrepit and eerie appearance, They snuck in to the mansion and told stories about strange things that happened in that old house. Each of the ghosts haunting the house are the manifestations of the stories the kids told that became real.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Queue and Facade[edit | edit source]
Guests would enter the queue across from the New York Public Library. The queue would go towards Soundstage 20, where guests entered the house. Guests enter to find themselves outside of an old worn down house. They would walk up the steps and through the front door to enter the house.
Haunted House[edit | edit source]
You walk into the living room where you see a ghost hovering up and down the steps. You then walk through a corridor where a scareactor jumps out at you on the left. After that you walk through a hallway in which the walls periodically disappear to reveal the revolving tunnel. After that you go to a corridor which leads to a room with a dollhouse. After that, is a room with a camera facing people sitting on couches. One of them is a scareactor that tries to grab you. You then go through a room with a mirror which opens up revealing a scareactor. Next, you go into another room with a mirror. A faceless scareactor jumps out at you from behind the mirror.
Afterwards, you go into an indoor garden where plant people jump out. After that, you go to the attic where various scareactors jump out. Then, you go to the library where monsters jump out from behind the bookshelves. The next room has a projector projecting faces on a sheet. A scareactor appears in beneath the sheet. The final corridor has many scareactors popping out at you on all sides. Then you exit the house.
(Source: Zombieman’s review comparing Hollywood to Orlando- Horror Night Nightmares forum)
Scareactors[edit | edit source]
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In one of the corridors is a morphing painting from Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw.
- The garden monster reappeared in Jack Presents: 25 years of Monsters & Mayhem.
- This is the last house that was located in Soundstage 20 along with Gothic.
- Freddy Krueger's sweater appeared in a trunk.
- TJ Mannarino has stated about this house "It's stuff that people have always fantasized of as "classic haunted house". For me, that is a combination not just of the scenery, it's a mixture of the sound design that we have in there and some of the wonderful special effects that we have that really puts this on edge. We do houses that are spectacle, as we do houses that are comical, we do houses that follow a wonderful story. This one is truly scary."
- The Revolving Tunnel (a spinning and disorientating tunnel that guests would walk through) appeared in this house. The effect would later be used in a few more haunted houses, with the next one being Afterlife: Death's Vengeance during Halloween Horror Nights 23.
- The Billy Dummy from Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw made an appearance in this house.
- The Pepper's ghost effect was used several times in this house. (Source: BehindTheThrills.com)
|Halloween Horror Nights 22|
|Characters: The Legions of Horror • Alice Cooper|
|Haunted Houses: Dead End • Gothic • Universal's House of Horrors • The Walking Dead: Dead Inside • Welcome to Silent Hill • Alice Cooper: Welcome to My Nightmare • Penn & Teller: New(kd) Vegas|
|Scarezones: The Legions of Horror|
|Shows: Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure • 20 Penny Circus: Fully Exposed|